Monday, February 11, 2008

A.K. phone home

Wherein: *A title is stolen from the '82 Spielberg movie *4 friends span the globe to reunite

I just hung out with three of my best friends. We talked. We laughed. We had some beers (Niko was on vodka). Some of us hadn't been in touch for a while, so the reunion was a real treat. It was like old times. No, scratch that. It was like recent times, when we would meet up in O'Donnels, have a few, go on to Paradiso or Melkweg and end up at Niko's house. Talking absolute S##t 'till the wee hours.
For a moment there we were all together. Never mind that I'm 8800 Km (5470 miles) down the road, that all of us are sitting behind a laptop and have headphones on. We were there, together.
You can go anywhere. See anything. But for a guy like me, stuff hasn't really happened until you tell your friends about it. When you hear the guy you've known for 22 years laugh at your story and relate it to something you did together in Spain, that's when it hits home. That's when you've gone and done something.

So thanks guys. Kevin, Marc, Niko, you just helped me be were I am. Marius, you'll be in on it next time, I'm sure ;)

I'd also like to thank Al Gore for inventing the Internet, even though his "Inconvenient Truth" might flood my house back home.

No comments: